Friday, August 26, 2011

Phases of the Moon

Last year, I taught a science class in our home school co-op.  We spent a lot of time studying the solar system.  It was a fun and fascinating time!  We just happened to begin just as Messenger was reaching Mercury.  I hope to eventually put my notes on each planet up here for my students to use when   teaching on the solar system!

Today I found a resource that I wish I had known about when we did our unit.  I was simply searching for the weather forecast and wound up investigating a site called Weather Underground.  I don't think it is a new site, but it was new to me.  Along with the weather, this site also give you the phases of the moon!  If you are doing a project about the moon and have a cloudy night this is the perfect site for you.  On the bottom of each page is an astronomy link.  It give you sky charts and shows you which moon phase you are in--along with the percentages of illumination!

I will be recommending this site for my upcoming class.  Just thought I would share!

http://www.wunderground.com/sky/ShowSky.asp?TheLat=41.45754242&TheLon=-87.28719330&TimeZoneName=America/Chicago

Note that these charts are for the Chicago area.  Put your zip code in and personalize it for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment